- 2 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bottle dark Belgian beer
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (whatever kind you have in your pantry)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the beef to the skillet and cook until golden brown, 5-6 minutes.
Add the onions, allspice and bay leaf to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes. Add the beer to the pan and cook a few minutes to reduce the liquid a little and concentrate the flavor.
In the meantime, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, Dijon and beef stock in a small bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add this mixture to the pot and cook until reduced and thickened, 15-20 minutes.
Serve the Belgian Joes on the rolls with Oven Fries with Cheddar-Horseradish Dipper alongside.