- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 handful (1/4 pound) broken spaghetti
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/2 cup (about a handful) dried sweetened cranberries
- 4 to 5 cups chicken stock (2 to 3 cups hot, 2 cups at room temp)
- 1 tablespoon EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 ham steaks
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rum
In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the spaghetti and rice, and toast until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Add in the dried cranberries, season with salt and ground black pepper and cover with the 2 to 3 cups of hot chicken stock. Stir once, cover and cook until tender, about 15-18 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO. When the pan is hot, add the ham steaks to the skillet and cook until brown, about 2 minutes per side.
While the ham steaks are cooking, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a high-sided, medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour to the butter, cook for 1 minute then whisk in remaining 2 cups chicken stock and maple syrup. Add in rum and light. Let the fire burn off and cook until thick, about 2 minutes.
Serve gravy over ham steak and rice with a veggie like steamed sweet snap peas on the side.