Serves 4 servings
Originally aired September 11, 2008
- 1 1 1/2- to 2-pound boneless shoulder steak or top round steak, often marked "London Broil"
- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided, plus additional for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into spears
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 425F and broiler to high, setting the rack 8 inches from the flame.
Put the steak on a broiler pan, drizzle with 1 tablespoon EVOO and season with salt and ground black pepper. Place under broiler for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove the meat from the broiler and let it to rest for 5 minutes, tented with a piece of aluminum foil.
Place the broccoli spears on a baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO. Top with crushed garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.
While the broccoli is roasting, to a medium-size skillet add remaining tablespoon EVOO and butter. Add in the shallots and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and smoked paprika, cook for a minute, add flour and cook for another minute then whisk in beef stock and season with salt and ground black pepper. Cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes, turn off heat and stir in capers and parsley.
Slice steak and top with the bistro gravy. Serve the roasted broccoli spears alongside.