- 1/4 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 7-ounce jar Piquillo peppers in water
- 1 jalapeo pepper, cut lengthwise and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- A splash of tomato or vegetable juice
- 1 28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 slice white bread, crusts trimmed and torn into large pieces
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, removed from stems
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Zest and juice of 3 limes, divided
- 1 pound large to jumbo shrimp
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
In a food processor, add the cucumber, onion, peppers, garlic and juice to the processor bowl and pulse until roughly chopped. Add the tomatoes, torn bread, cilantro, salt and pepper, a few dashes of hot sauce, and the juice of 2 limes. Pulse just a few times, not to grind it up too much, but just so it is a nice chunky consistency. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a large bowl, toss shrimp with a drizzle of EVOO, sweet smoked paprika, lime zest, a few dashes of hot sauce, salt and ground black pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon EVOO, about 1 turn of the pan. When the oil is hot, saut the shrimp until cooked through, about 1 minute on each side. When the shrimp are finished cooking, turn the heat off and add the juice of 1 lime. Toss to coat.
Serve the Fire-Roasted Gazpacho in a shallow bowl with the shrimp on top.