Que Pasta Mexican Mac 'n' Cheese
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 4 poblano peppers
- 1 pound farfalle (bow-tie pasta) or whole-wheat penne
- 1 tablespoon EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (half a palmful) ground coriander
- 2 1/2 cups grated Mexican cheese blend or mix of cheddar and queso fresco
- 1 firm avocado, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 small vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
Heat the broiler to high and blacken the poblanos on all sides, 12-15 minutes. Place the peppers in a bowl and cover tight with plastic wrap or place in a paper sack; cool for 10 minutes, then peel, seed and chop.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Add salt and the pasta and cook al dente.
Heat a saucepot over medium heat; add the EVOO, onions, and garlic and cook until tender, 6-7 minutes. Add the butter to the pan and when it melts, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock and milk and bring to a simmer. Season with salt, pepper, the cumin, and the coriander and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight pattern until the cheese melts.
Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce and the chopped poblano peppers. Toss the avocado with the lime juice. Serve the mac-n-cheese in shallow bowls and top with the tomatoes, avocados and scallions.