- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ice water
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 pieces cooked bacon, crumbed into quarter-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh string beans, tops removed and cut on a bias into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shiitake, portobello, or button mushrooms, chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- A pinch ground black pepper
- A pinch red pepper flakes
In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the flour, ice water, and egg into a thin crepe-like batter. Add the grated cheese, crumbled cooked bacon, cut string beans, and chopped mushrooms and stir to combine.
Heat a nonstick skillet over high heat with the vegetable oil. Using a small ladle, pour the pancake batter into the skillet -- make sure you scoop some of the vegetables into each pancake. Cook until light golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on a baking sheet or plate lined with paper towels.
While the pancakes are cooking up, prepare the dipping sauce: Combine the tamari, garlic, lemon juice, sugar, pepper and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Mix well to combine.
Serve pancakes with the Korean Dipping Sauce on the side.