- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 thickly sliced crusty bread
- 1 roasted pepper, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 cup (about a handful) flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup leftover marinara or other type of tomato sauce, heated
Using a water glass as a guide, cut a circle out of the middle of the bread slices. Heat a medium-size, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO and the butter, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Scoot the garlic over to one side of the pan and add the bread slices to the skillet. Toast them for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Flip the toast and add the roasted red peppers to the hole, pushing the peppers down in the hole a little bit.
Crack one egg at a time into a small bowl, keeping the egg yolk whole. Gently pour the egg into the hole on top of the roasted peppers. Repeat with the second egg and remaining bread. Top each egg with a little grated Parmigiano Reggiano, parsley and a half cup of warm tomato sauce then cover the skillet with a piece of aluminum foil or a second skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the egg is cooked to desired doneness.