- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 3/4 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage or maple breakfast sausage removed from casing
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 leaves sage, chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bread, white or whole wheat
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided, plus some for spreading on toast
- 4 cups turkey or chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (a couple of handfuls), chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds thickly sliced roasted turkey from the deli
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 2 10-ounce boxes frozen peas
For the stuffing, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the sausage and break it up using the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until well browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the celery, onion, sage, thyme and some salt and pepper, and continue to cook until the veggies are soft, 3-4 minutes. Toast the sliced bread, then spread with each slice with some butter. Chop up the bread into cubes and add to the sausage and veggies.
Toss to combine and moisten with 1/2 cup of the stock. Cover skillet and keep warm until ready to serve.
In another large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Once butter has melted, add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, for about 1 minute. Whisk in 3 cups of stock, season with some salt and pepper, and cook until thickened. Add the parsley and turkey and simmer until the turkey is heated through, 1-2 minutes.
For the peas, place 1/2 cup of the stock in a medium-sized sauce pot or skillet and add the sweetened dried cranberries. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring up to a simmer. Once simmering, add frozen peas and season with some salt and pepper. Cook until heated through. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and stir to melt. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
Serve a little stuffing alongside the gravy-soaked turkey and some of the cranberry peas.