- 1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast, the average weight of 1 package
- 1 medium red onion, half finely chopped, half diced
- 1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder, a healthy palmful
- 2 teaspoons cumin (2/3 of a palmful)
- 1 jalapeo or serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- A handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
Preheat a large non-stick skillet, indoor grill pan or tabletop grill to medium-high heat.
Combine ground turkey, finely chopped onion, cheddar cheese, chili powder, ground cumin, jalapeo or serrano, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and mix everything together with your hands. Score the meat with the side of your hand to separate into 4 equal amounts. Form mixture into 4 large patties no more than 1-inch thick. Drizzle EVOO on the patties and place patties in a hot skillet or on a hot grill and cook 5-6 minutes on each side or until turkey is cooked through.
For the cilantro cream, combine the sour cream and chopped cilantro, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Serve the cheddar-studded chili turkey burgers topped with a little of the cilantro cream and alongside South-Of-The-Border Iceberg Salad