- 2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds top sirloin, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups good quality apple cider (the dark cloudy ones always taste the best)
- 1/2 cup beef consomme
- 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese (super-aged and super-sharp!)
Preheat oven to 375F.
Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add EVOO and butter. Season the beef with salt and pepper and add to pot. Brown on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Add onions, carrots and turnips, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add flour, stir to combine and coat.
Add the apple cider and the beef consomm, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover and place in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours.
Once the beef is about 3/4 of the way cooked (about 40-45 minutes after putting it in the oven), place potatoes in a large sauce pot, cover with water by at least 1-2 inches and place over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, add some salt and cook potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
Once the potatoes are tender, drain and return to the pot. Add the milk, sour cream, and the cheese. Smash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the chives. Cover and reserve until you are ready to serve.
When the beef is done, remove from the oven. To serve, place a spoonful of potatoes in a wide serving bowl. Make a well in the middle of the potatoes and spoon the beef into the center.