- 1 box corn muffin mix
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, divided
- 2 cups aged cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3/4 pound andouille sausage, peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds of beef, veal, pork meatloaf mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 thyme sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bottle beer, lager style
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 28-ounce can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can red beans (optional)
- 4 scallions, sliced
Preheat oven according to instructions on the corn muffin mix box.
Butter an 8x8" baking dish and make corn bread according to package directions. Add the defrosted corn, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the honey, and bake according to the package.
To prepare the andouille, slice it lengthwise. Then, lay each half flat on the counter and slice it lengthwise again and chop it into 1/2-inch pieces. While the corn bread is baking, preheat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chopped andouille and cook stirring every now and then for 2-3 minutes.
Add the ground meat mixture to the pot, using the back of a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it browns.
Cook for about 5 minutes and then add the remaining tablespoon of chili powder, bay leaf, celery, onion, garlic, green bell pepper, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
Add the beer, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan, then the chicken stock and hot sauce, and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and beans and bring up to a bubble. Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving.
To serve, cut the corn bread into squares. Ladle a serving of chili into a bowl and place the corn bread squares on top. Sprinkle generously with remaining cheddar cheese and scallions.