- 1 1/3 pounds (the average weight of 1 package) 99% fat-free, all-white meat, ground turkey breast
- 3 scallions, finely chopped, white and green parts
- 1 tablespoon (about a half palmful) cumin
- 2 teaspoons (about 1/3 palmful) coriander
- Zest of 2 limes, divided, juice of 1
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus additional for drizzling
- 1 red onion, 1/2 finely chopped and 1/2 sliced, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 romaine heart, chopped
- 1/4 seedless cucumber, halved the long way and sliced into half moons
- 1 loaf of white bread, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch-thick slices
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
In a medium-size bowl, combine the ground turkey, scallions, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, the zest of 1 lime and 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Score the meat into 4 equal parts and then form 4 patties, about 1 1/2-inch thick. Drizzle with EVOO and place on the grill for 6-7 minutes per side or until cooked through.
While the burgers are cooking, place a medium-size sauce pot over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add the chopped red onion and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions become slightly tender. Add the vinegar and molasses, cook for another minute then add the tomatoes. Bring up to a light bubble and cook for 10-15 minutes.
While the burgers and sauce are cooking, place the chopped romaine, cucumber, sliced red onion, the remaining lime zest and the lime juice in a bowl. Add 1-2 tablespoons of EVOO, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Toast the bread on the grill or grill pan on both sides. To serve, place a piece of toasted bread on a plate and top with a couple spoonfuls of the molasses BBQ sauce. Place the burger and some of the salad on top to finish it off. Serve with Herb-Roasted Oven Fries.