- 1 medium, firm eggplant
- 1 clove garlic, cracked away from the skin
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley tops
- 3 sprigs of mint removed from stem
- 2 sprigs of oregano removed from stem
- A drizzle extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Flat bread and pita bread, cut into pieces for dipping
Preheat oven to highest setting, at least 500F.
Cut 2 or 3 slits into whole eggplant. Place eggplant directly on the oven rack in the middle of the oven and roast the eggplant until it is tender, about 20 minutes. Keep the slits facing up so that the eggplant does not loose liquids as it roasts. The roasted eggplant should look like a flat tire when you remove it from the oven.
Using a sharp utility knife, carefully peel the skin away from eggplant flesh. Add cooked eggplant flesh and juice to a food processor and combine with garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Pulse the eggplant into a paste, add a drizzle of olive oil. Transfer to a serving dish -- the seeds of the eggplant will make the spread resemble caviar eggs. To serve, surround a bowlful of spread with bread pieces.