- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 4 turns of the pan
- 1/2 pound chorizo, casings removed and cut into bite-size dice
- 3/4 pound chicken cutlets or tenderloins, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 2 Piquillo peppers or 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, (eyeball it)
- 1 envelope saffron powder or a pinch of threads
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A generous handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Heat EVOO over medium-high heat in a deep skillet - make sure to choose a pan with a tight-fitting lid.
Add the chorizo, cook for 1 minute to render some of its fat, then add the chicken, bay leaf, thyme and onions.
Cook for 2 minutes to start softening the onions, then add shrimp, red pepper flakes, garlic, Piquillo or red peppers, turmeric and saffron, and cook until shrimp are just about cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then add stock.
Bring stock to a boil, about 1 minute, stir in couscous, peas and lemon zest. Cover and turn off heat. Let stand 5 minutes then fluff with fork. Remove bay and thyme stems, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.