- 12 slices of baguette, sliced about half-inch thick on a slight angle
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
- 1/2 pound leftover cheese such as brie, camembert, swiss, blue – anything or any combination!
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 8 cups of mixed greens
In the bottom of a salad bowl, combine the shallots, mustard and some salt and pepper with the white wine vinegar. In a slow steady stream, whisk in the 1/3 cup EVOO. Add the mixed greens, toss to combine and serve the Fromage Fort toasts alongside.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Arrange the baguette slices on a cookie sheet, drizzle some EVOO over them and transfer to the oven. Toast until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Flip them over and toast on the second side until golden, 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
While the bread is toasting, make the Fromage Fort (a.k.a. cheese spread): In a food processor, combine the leftover cheese pieces, garlic clove, white wine and pepper. Process until smooth, transfer to a bowl and mix in the chives and lemon zest. Spread evenly on the cooled toasts.