- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 Portuguese rolls, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 links of chorizo, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 pound chicken livers, cleaned
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups turkey stock or chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (a couple of handfuls) flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Preheat oven 400F.
Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with melted butter.
Place the chopped up Portuguese rolls on a cookie sheet and transfer to the oven to toast until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Toss the bread on the sheet around every now and then in order to insure even browning. Remove from the oven and reserve.
While the bread is toasting, preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes to crisp it and render out some of the fat. Remove the chorizo from the skillet and return the skillet to the heat. Add the chicken livers and cook for 4-5 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the chicken livers from the skillet and let cool.
Return the skillet to the heat and add the onions, celery, poultry seasoning, bay leaf, tomato paste and a little salt and pepper. Cook stirring frequently until the veggies are tender. While the veggies are cooking, chop the cooled chicken livers in to little pieces and reserve. Add the toasted bread, about 3 cups of chicken stock, the chopped chicken livers and crispy chorizo to the skillet with the veggies. Stir to combine. The bread should be moist enough that when you squeeze it against the side of the skillet with a rubber spatula it holds together with all the other ingredients. Add more stock until you get the right consistency. Remove the skillet from the cook top and let cool either in the pan or in a bowl. If the mixture seems too loose, add 1 egg. Add the parsley, mix to combine and scoop heaping portions of the stuffing into the muffin pan using a large ice cream scoop. Transfer to the oven and bake until the top is crispy and the stuffing is hot in the center, about 15 minutes. Serve alongside a mixed green salad.