- 2 to 3 pounds petite filet of beef or venison loin
- Canola or olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Pommery mustard
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
Bring meat to room temperature, rub with oil and season liberally with salt.
Heat heavy skillet to medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil then melt butter into it. Add meat and caramelize the surface for a minute or two then lower heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes, developing a good even deep reddish brown crust. Remove to a plate and tent with foil for 10 minutes.
Add shallots and garlic to skillet, and stir 2 minutes; add pepper and stir. Add brandy to deglaze then stir in tomato paste. Cook 1 minute then whisk in stock. Bring stock to a bubble then whisk in Worcestershire and mustard; remove from heat. While sauce is still hot, whisk in cream and taste for seasoning.
Slice meat into medallions 1/2-inch thick and serve on or alongside Farro with Asparagus. Top with sauce and garnish with lots of chives.