- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound short rib meat, shredded
- 1 cup cooking liquid from short ribs
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
In a 6-quart pot, heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Add onions, carrots and celery, and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Place meat and cooking liquid in pot and let cook until most of the liquid has reduces, leaving about a 1/4 cup. Add wine and let cook until most of the liquid has reduced, leaving about a 1/4 cup. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper, and reduce heat. Let simmer on stove for about 20-25 minutes.
Bring an 8-quart pot with heavily salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain. Add pasta to meat pot and mix thoroughly.
Divide pasta into bowls and top with parmesan cheese and parsley.