- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- A few grinds black pepper
- 1 round tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg (plus 1 per person to top sandwiches with over-easy eggs, if desired)
- 1/3 cup melted butter, plus some to brush waffle iron
- 5 to 6 ounces sharp cheddar, grated, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs such as tarragon, parsley and chives
- 1/2 cup maple or honey mustard, homemade (1-to-1 ratio) or store-bought
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Sliced beefsteak tomatoes
Heat oven to 375°F and bake bacon to crisp on a slotted broiler pan.
Preheat waffle iron to high.
Whisk up dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk up milk, egg and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry and combine. Stir in cheddar and herbs.
Brush the waffle iron with melted butter and fill iron with batter. Cook waffles to crisp, keep warm in a low oven and repeat. Cut into 8 waffles to build sandwiches. Make sandwiches of two waffles each: Spread with maple mustard and fill with bacon, lettuce and tomato. Add an over-easy egg if you are really hungry.