Serves 16 slices
Aired November 11, 2013
- One 14-ounce sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 ounces part-skim or full-fat mozzarella (scant 2 cups)
- 2 medium zucchini, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape or small cherry tomatoes (about 16), halved lengthwise
- 1/2 red onion, quartered, then very thinly sliced
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 475ºF.
Cut the pastry sheet into 16 equal rectangles. Stretch the dough slightly so they form squares, then press down lightly with your fingertips to make a pizza-crust-like-border. Arrange the squares on a nonstick baking pan or two.
Fill the pressed-down centers with cheese (about 2 scant tablespoons shredded mozzarella each). Then top with 2 or 3 thin slices zucchini, 2 or 3 tomato halves, and a sprinkling of red onion.
Bake until puffed, crisp and browned at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove, transfer to a platter and serve warm.