- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into half-inch dice
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 15-ounce can, about 2 cups, diced plum tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 rind from Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds poached chicken breast, diced
- 1/3 pound green beans, halved lengthwise then sliced into thirds on bias
- 1 pound pici (fat spaghetti) or bucatini, broken in half
Heat olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a soup pot over medium heat. Add vegetables and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cover and sweat vegetables, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, stock and chicken, cheese rind, bring soup to low boil. Add green beans and simmer 5 minutes longer to tender.
Heat water to boil for pasta, salt the water and cook to al dente. Drain and toss with a drizzle of oil. Keep noodles separate from soup to avoid overcooking the pasta and add them to the soup to heat through as you serve.