- 2 heads of garlic, ends cut to expose cloves
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 3 to 4 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- A few sprigs of marjoram, stripped and finely chopped
- 1 10- to 12-pound rib roast
- 1 stick butter, softened
For the Sauce:
- For the Sauce:
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- Salt and pepper
Dress garlic with oil, salt and pepper and wrap tightly in foil. Roast at 400°F until tender, 40-45 minutes. While garlic roasts, bring meat to room temp.
Reduce oven to 325°F. Combine butter with cooled and pasted roasted garlic, rosemary, marjoram, salt and pepper. Coat the rib roast with herb butter and stand up in roasting pan.
Cook beef in the center of the oven for about 2 hours and 45 minutes, or to an internal temperature of 125°F-130°F (for medium-rare). Remove and let rest covered with foil and dish towel for 1 hour. Carve and serve.
For sauce, combine all ingredients in bowl and let stand for breadcrumbs to soften. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.