- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied (split open) and pounded very thin
- Salt and pepper
- About 1/2 cup skinless hazelnuts or almonds, toasted then pulse-ground in a food processor
- 1/2 cup fine regular, whole wheat or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 cup regular, whole wheat or gluten-free panko
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- A handful of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Flour, for dredging
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil or canola oil, for shallow frying
- 1 cup blood orange or navel orange sections
- 5 to 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 4 wedges lemon
Heat oven to 250°F. Place a metal rack on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven to hold crispy cutlets warm once you begin cooking them.
Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
Combine ground nuts, breadcrumbs, panko, citrus zest, thyme, cheese and parsley in a shallow dish. Arrange two more dishes with flour and eggs.
Heat a layer of oil about 1/8 inch deep in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Coat chicken in flour, shake off excess, then egg and let excess drain off. Coat evenly and fully in breadcrumb mixture. Add chicken to oil in batches and cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Keep cooked cutlets warm in oven while you finish the rest.
Combine citrus sections with arugula and onions, and dress salad with lemon, EVOO, salt and pepper.
Serve cutlets with lemon wedges and salad alongside.