- 1 1/2 pounds boneless short ribs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 12-ounce bottle light beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 12-ounce bottle Dr. Pepper soda
- 1 lime
- Optional garnishes: shredded cheese, finely diced onion, sour cream and corn bread.
Season beef liberally with salt and pepper.
Heat a saucepan on high heat with olive oil and place all short ribs in. Sear the meat on all sides until brown. Add in the onion, green pepper, jalapeño and garlic, and cook over medium heat until soft (approximately 10 minutes). Drain off half of the fat, add tomato paste and let it all simmer for 5 minutes. Add the beer, mix well and let the mixture reduce by half. Add in the beef stock, chili powder, cumin and paprika simmer and cook for for 5 minutes. Add in 2 cups of water and cover the saucepan. Let the entire mixture simmer on low heat for 3 hours or until the meat is fork tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste (you may need to add water during the cooking depending on the thickness you prefer). Add in Dr. Pepper and mix well. Before serving, squeeze in juice of half a lime. Serve with garnishes of your choice.