- 3 firm, medium eggplant
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella, diced into small pieces
- 1 12 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 quarts Pomodoro Sauce
- A handful of basil leaves
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
Trim some of the skin off the sides of the eggplants then cut them into thin planks lengthwise about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick. Salt the eggplant and layer with kitchen towels. Weight and drain the eggplant for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat a shallow layer of oil in a 12- to 14-inch skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant 2-3 minutes one each side until light golden. Drain on paper towels.
Place a layer of sauce in a casserole dish. Top with 1/3 of the eggplant, a few spoonfuls of sauce, 1/3 of the mozzarella and the Parm, and a few leaves of torn basil. Repeat 2 more times.
Bake eggplant 35-40 minutes until top is brown and bubbly. Top with minced parsley and serve.
Serve with green salad alongside or as a first course.