- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 28- to 32-ounce cans Italian tomatoes
- A few leaves of basil, torn
Serves: 2 quarts
For the sauce, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add butter and melt, then and add onions and garlic. Season with salt and cook partially covered until very soft. Add stock then tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Stir in basil, reduce heat and simmer sauce gently 20-30 minutes, partially covered, stirring occasionally. Adjust salt to taste.
Tip: For a thinner sauce or to stretch the yield, add 2 cups tomato passata or purée.