- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 10-ounce package vegan chocolate chips
- 1 12.3-ounce package silken extra-firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda together into a bowl.
Add warm water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
Line a muffin tin with 24 liners. Divide batter evenly among the liners. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean (with a few moist crumbs attached). Let cool in the pan and remove from pan.
To make the frosting: In the top of a double boiler, or in a medium stainless-steel bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water, melt the chocolate until smooth. Place the tofu and maple syrup in a blender and add the melted chocolate. Blend until mixed. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Spread on top of the cake, using the back of a spoon or a cake froster.