- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 cups sugar (in various colors such as purple, yellow and green)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 container store-bought buttermilk biscuit dough (for 8 large biscuits)
- 1/2 cup agave, or honey thinned with water
Serves: 32 donut holes
Place oil in a deep pan until it comes about halfway up the side of the pan. Heat to 350°F.
Place orange zest, sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or plate, and stir to combine; set aside.
Cut biscuits into quarters and roll into balls to form 32 donut holes. Working in batches, place donut holes in the hot oil and fry until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the hot donuts to a paper towel to drain.
In a shallow bowl or plate, roll the warm donuts in the agave or thinned out honey. Toss in spiced colored sugar and serve immediately.