Bratwurst Reubens with Sweet 'n Sour Red Cabbage
Rachael's Orecchiette With Bacon + More Q & Ray + J Questions An…
This Woman Lost Her House To a Fire On The Same Day Rachael Did …
How To Make Roasted Cauliflower Orecchiette | Atkins Diet Recipe…
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cloudy apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, preferred brand Braggs
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup, divided
- A few juniper berries, optional
- A few allspice berries
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 4 fresh bratwurst sausages
- Canola oil, for drizzling
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1/2 pound sliced Emmentaler Swiss cheese
- Deli-style garlic or half sour pickles
Serves: 4 servings
Place cabbage, onion, cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, 1/4 cup ketchup, the juniper berries if using, allspice berries, mustard, coriander and caraway seeds, and bay leaf in a medium pot. Season liberally with salt and pepper, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and partially cover, and cook until cabbage is very tender and the flavor develops, 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Heat a grill pan or griddle over medium-high heat.
Simmer the fresh sausages in an inch of water to cook them through. If they are cooked bratwurst skip this step. Butterfly the bratwursts so they open like a book. Griddle on both sides with a drizzle of oil until crispy and brown. Wipe griddle clean.
Combine sour cream, remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, relish, fresh herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Spread bread on one side lightly with butter. Dress the other side of the bread with the sauce and layer cheese, sausage, cabbage, cheese and bread, with the buttered sides facing out. Grill the sandwiches over medium heat until crispy and brown and the cheese melts.