- 1 large clove garlic, pasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, stripped from stems
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 2 small lemons, halved
- 4 fat handfuls baby kale or arugula
- 1 small bulb fennel, very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 4 5-inch squares focaccia or ciabatta, halved horizontally
- 3/4 pound sliced provolone cheese, packaged or deli-cut on the thick side
Preheat out door grill or griddle pan and a sandwich or panini press.
Combine garlic, rosemary, oil, salt, pepper, red pepper and fennel seed. Add chicken and turn to coat.
Grill the halved lemons until slightly charred. Grill chicken until cooked through 7-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Dress the chicken with the juice of one lemon.
Dress the greens, fennel, and onion with juice of other grilled lemon, a touch of salt and pepper.
Build sandwiches of foccacia, cheese, greens, chicken, greens, cheese and foccacia. Press or grill sandwiches with lid down to mark bread and melt cheese. Cut corner to corner and serve.