- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage (removed from casing)
- 1/2 pound bacon, finely diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dark chili powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup grape jelly
- 1 cup raspberry (or strawberry) jam/preserves
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, sausage, bacon, eggs and breadcrumbs. Mix thoroughly with
your hands. Add 1 teaspoon each of the chile powder, chipotle powder, paprika, Kosher salt, ground black pepper to the meat and mix in well.Form mixture into 2-inch balls and space them out evenly on a foil-lined sheet pan that has been generously coated with cooking spray. Bake for at least 30 minutes or until done.
In a Dutch oven, combine jelly, preserves, remaining spices, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and honey. Simmer over low heat, stirring until everything is mixed well. Taste periodically during cooking for “heat/spice” preference and, if a more robust flavor is desired, add more chipotle and chile powder.
Add all of the cooked meatballs to the sauce, making sure to coat them well. Serve warm in a deep dish, with plenty of toothpick skewers so guests can help themselves.