For the fresh salsa verde
- 3 cups (12 ounces) tomatillos, quartered
- 1 large Poblano chili pepper (4-5 ounces), charred, membranes and seeds removed
- 1/2 3-inch Serrano chili pepper, cut in half, seeds removed
- 3 green onions, chopped in 2 inch pieces
- 3 large (1/2 ounces) garlic cloves
- 1 cup (1 ounce) packed cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned tri-colored or black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
Combine all salsa verde ingredients in a food processor. Pulse 3 times; scrape bowl. Continue to pulse until the consistency resembles salsa.
Rinse the quinoa with running water in a mesh strainer for 1 minute or more. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add 1/2 cup salsa verde and rinsed quinoa, cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes. Uncover, add beans and red bell pepper. Cover and cook 5 minutes more. Remove quinoa from heat, cover, and set aside to steam for 5 minutes or longer.
Just before serving, toss with cilantro and green onions, and transfer to serving bowl. Drizzle 1 wedge of lime and 1/4 cup fresh salsa verde over quinoa pilaf (cover and refrigerate remaining salsa for later use). Garnish with wedges of lime and serve.