- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 sweet relish
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 8 slices black forest ham or your favorite cooked ham
- Canola or olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish or grated fresh horseradish
- 3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 4 thick-cut deli slices Muenster, Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- Lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes and thinly sliced red onion
- Grilled potato rolls
Preheat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat or prepare an outdoor grill.
Combine sour cream, ketchup, relish, salt, pepper, chives, lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
Griddle or grill ham to brown, 30 seconds on each side. Fold slices in half to fit on atop burgers then reserve.
Combine beef with Worcestershire, horseradish and mustard. Form patties thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking. Griddle or grill burgers 8-10 minutes, turning once. Top with folded ham and cheese the last 1-2 minutes to melt.
Serve burgers on toasted rolls topped with lettuce, tomato, onion and special sauce.