Rach shares an easy recipe for classic basil pesto (pesto alla Genovese), which originated from the city of Genoa in Southern Italy. She uses this classic sauce to make her Spaghetti Squash with Pesto alla Genovese.
- About 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- About 1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- About ¼ cup pine nuts, raw
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 to 5 cups "Holy Basil" or small leaves of basil, buy 2 large bunches and pick smallest leaves (about 2½ ounces)
In a food processor, pulse the cheese into coarse sand. Transfer to a bowl. Add nuts, garlic, zest of 1 lemon and salt to a food processor and pulse into a fairly smooth paste. Add cheese to nut paste and add about 3 tablespoons EVOO; process until smooth. Pulse process basil into sauce until fairly smooth, adding juice of 1 lemon and remaining EVOO.