You might be tempted to buy it made, but salsa verde couldn't be easier to make from scratch.
Rach likes to serve her homemade salsa verde with her Ranch Chicken Tortilla Casserole.
- 8 medium tomatillos (or 6 large), peeled and rinsed
- 3 large poblano peppers, or 4 medium
- 1 white onion, quartered and peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic, trimmed of root ends but left in skins
- 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or ⅓ palmful
- 1 teaspoon light agave or small drizzle of mild honey
- ½ cup cilantro, or a handful of leaves
For the salsa verde, line a small tray with foil and arrange tomatillos, peppers, onion and garlic and place rack 1 rung above center. Broil the ingredients to char evenly, cool to handle, peel and stem the peppers. Remove garlic from skins. Place ingredients and juices in food processor and add juice of 2 limes, salt and pepper, cumin, agave, and cilantro, then process. Transfer to a mixing bowl and rinse processor, dry and return to base.