Grilled Chicken Tacos with Smoky Salsa Verde
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 1 bulb garlic, top cut away to expose cloves
- Olive or vegetable oil, for drizzling plus about 3 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges with root attached
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 4 limes
- 2 teaspoons green chili or other mild chili powder, such as Ancho
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 rounded teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground coriander
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or small, 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 round teaspoon light agave or Acacia honey
- A small handful cilantro tops
- 12 to 16 6-inch corn tortillas
- Quick-pickled red onions (Thinly sliced red onions tossed with lime juice, salt and pepper)
- Shredded Jack and/or Pepper Jack or Chihuahua cheeses
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Diced avocado, dressed in lemon juice
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- Cilantro leaves
Prepare/preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
Drizzle garlic with a little olive or vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper and wrap tightly in foil. Grill until tender, 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally. Let cool then squeeze out cloves and paste.
Dress tomatillos, onion wedges and jalapeños with a little oil. Season with salt and pepper, and grill to blister and char all over; remove from heat.
Grill limes cut-side down to char and get their juices flowing.
Whisk up chili powder, 1 teaspoon each of cumin and coriander, half the grill-roasted garlic paste, the juice of 1 grilled lime and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl. Coat chicken in marinade and season with salt and pepper.
In a food processor, combine charred tomatillos, remaining half the grill-roasted garlic, grilled onion, 1 teaspoon cumin, cilantro, juice of remaining charred limes, honey or agave and the 2 roasted jalapeños (remove ribs and seeds for milder salsa). Process into a slightly chunky, saucy salsa and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Char tortillas to blister and blacken at edges and to soften. Wrap them in a clean towel to keep warm.
Grill chicken 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally. Slice chicken and serve with wedges of charred lime.
Assemble and arrange the fixin’s—the taco bar is officially open!