- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 organic or free-range chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 bacon slices, chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 8 shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon golden Irish honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped flat-leaf parley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place a casserole dish over medium-high and pour in the olive oil. When the oil is warm, add the chicken and bacon, and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the casserole and set aside.
Add the garlic, shallots, parsnips and carrots to the casserole and lightly brown. Return the chicken and bacon to the pan and stir together.
In a saucepan, heat the stock over medium heat while beating in the honey and mustard. Once the stock is hot, pour it over the chicken and vegetables.
Stir in the chopped parsley and thyme, and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, covered. Serve.