- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1/2 medium head savory cabbage, shredded (about 8 cups)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Sour cream, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrot and cabbage. Sprinkle with the paprika, allspice and cayenne. Cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 40 minutes.
Add the rice and season with salt. Cook until the rice is just tender (it will cook more off the heat), about 15 minutes. Stir in the chopped dill.
Serve in soup bowls, with dollops of sour cream.