Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Meatballs
Chef Ryan Scott's Reuben Chicken Meatball Sandwich
Rachael's Spring Minestrone with Chicken-Ricotta Meatballs
Sweet 'N Sour Pork
Sicilian-Style Sweet and Sour Chicken
How To Make Lamb Meatballs With Mint-Yogurt Sauce | Richard Blai…
Bratwurst Reubens with Sweet 'n Sour Red Cabbage
Spaghetti with Bacon and Cabbage
Reuben-Style Casserole with Pastrami Meatballs, Sauerkraut and B…
How To Make St. Patty's Day Reuben-Style Skillet Potato Pancake …
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 cup white long-grain rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meatloaf mix or freshly ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 onion, 3 tablespoons grated and the rest chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 pasted and 2 sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetables oil plus additional for drizzling
- 1 small red cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, preferred brand Bragg’s
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chili sauce, preferred brand Heinz
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a small saucepot, bring 3/4 cup stock to a simmer; add rice and cover. Simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper then remove rice from pot and spread it out on plate or pan to quickly cool.
Season meat with Worcestershire, salt, pepper, allspice, cumin, paprika, grated onion, pasted garlic, cooled rice, egg and a drizzle of oil. Roll into walnut-size meatballs.
Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add cabbage, chopped onion and sliced garlic; season with salt, pepper and celery seed. Add cider vinegar and remaining 1 cup stock to the skillet and toss. Sprinkle with sugar and stir to combine; stir in chili sauce and soften cabbage, 20 minutes. Add meatballs to the skillet and place everything in the oven 15 minutes more to cook meatballs through.
Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for the special sauce in a bowl.
Serve meatballs and cabbage topped with special sauce.