- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of saffron (about 10 threads)
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Leaves from 4 sprigs fresh oregano
In a saucepan or a small pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, sauté the onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes, or until translucent.
Remove pan from the heat and add the saffron. Let it infuse the oil mixture for about 5 minutes.
Add the beans and return the pan to the heat. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the broth has reduced by half.
Off the heat, mash the beans with a wooden spoon until nearly smooth. This can be rustic and lumpy or very smooth, depending on how you like it. To make it smooth, use a food processor. Season with salt and pepper.
Served drizzled with oil and topped with the oregano.