- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onions
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons (or more) flour or matzo meal (during Passover)
- Vegetable oil for frying
In a food processor, grate the potatoes. Line a sieve or strainer with cheesecloth and transfer potatoes to the sieve. Set sieve over a bowl, twist cheesecloth into a pouch, squeezing out some moisture.
To the squeezed-out potatoes, add salt and pepper, onion, eggs, and flour (or matzo meal).
Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking pan with paper towels. When you are ready to eat, heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Drop heaping tablespoonsful of potato mixture into the hot oil and cook for 3-4 minutes per side; latkes should be golden and crisp on both sides.
Eat right away or keep warm in oven. Serve with any combination of the following: applesauce, sour cream, caramelized onions, minced chives and/or caviar.