Kummelweck rolls are Kaiser-style rolls with equal amounts of caraway seed and coarse salt on top. They’re not common if you’re not from Buffalo where Beef on a ‘Weck’ or ‘Wick’ is a local specialty. Here’s how to make them from plain Kaiser rolls.
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 Kaiser rolls
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt or rock salt
- For the Pastrami Burgers:
- 2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon each ground coriander, cumin, mustard, paprika or smoked paprika and light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic and granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 6 Kummelweck or Kaiser rolls, split
- For the Slaw:
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 pound white cabbage, finely chopped or shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- For the Thousand Island Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons relish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup spicy deli mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- For serving: 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish sauce preferred brand Gold’s (optional)
To make the Wick rolls, preheat oven to 350°F. Make a cornstarch slurry and brush rolls. Sprinkle with caraway seeds and salt, and bake 3 minutes to set seasonings in place.
Season meat with Worcestershire and Kosher salt and form 6 thick patties that are thinner at the center and thicker at the edges for even cooking.
Combine pastrami spice mix in a shallow dish and roll the edges and 1 side of each patty in the mixture.
Heat a large, cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add a little vegetable oil to the pan and cook burgers seasoned-side down for 3 minutes then turn and cook 4 minutes more.
Whisk up slaw dressing and toss with cabbage and carrots. Stir up sauces.
Build burgers: on the bun bottoms, smear some thousand island dressing then top with slaw, pastrami patty, some mustard sauce, horseradish (if desired) and set bun tops in place.