- 2 1/2 pounds red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 5 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons dry rub
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch slurry
- For the Tots: 1/2 pound Tater Tots
- 1/4 cup diced smoked mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon chopped green onions, for garnish
Place onions in a bowl and reserve. Bring vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a simmer then pour over onions. Cover and let sit for 30-60 minutes. Drain liquid when ready to use.
Combine all of the dry rub ingredients in a bowl and reserve.
For the gravy, combine stock, rub, garlic and smoke in a pan and bring to a simmer. Slowly stir in the cornstarch slurry until desired thickness. Remove from heat.
Fry tots to specifications on the bag, making sure they are golden brown. While tots are frying, toss smoked mozzarella in 1/2 tablespoon of the dry rub and set aside.
When tots are finished, drain them of any excess oil and place in a mixing bowl; toss with 1 tablespoon dry rub. Transfer tots to a serving bowl and sprinkle mozzarella evenly over them. Pour 1/4 cup gravy over the mozzarella-topped tots, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the pickled onions and garnish with chopped green onions.