- For the Fresh Tomatillo Salsa:
- 3 tomatillos, husked and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño or Serrano pepper, coarsely chopped
- A small handful cilantro
- 1 teaspoon light agave or Acacia honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- For the Tacos:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground green New Mexican chili powder or mild chili powder like ancho
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo (fresh sausage), casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 12 corn tortillas
Process salsa ingredients in a food processor until almost smooth. Adjust seasonings, transfer to a bowl and reserve,
Heat a large nonstick skillet with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add chicken and season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and coriander. Add sausage and brown and crumble meats. Add onions, jalapeño and garlic, stir 3-4 minutes to soften then add stock or water to keep moist; reduce heat to low.
Char the corn tortillas over an open flame or in a dry, stainless skillet over high heat for about 30 seconds per side to blister.
How I build this taco: cabbage, avocado, radishes, chicken filling, a squirt of lime juice, some cheese and green salsa.