- 8 plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 small white onion, cut into quarters plus 1/2 small white onion, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- A pinch of salt, plus more as needed
- 3 small dried chipotle peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the tomatoes, garlic cloves and quartered onion on a baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Roast for 30 minutes.
While the veggies roast, toast the chipotles in a small dry sauté pan for about 1 minute. Transfer a bowl and cover the boiling water to rehydrate. When the veggies are very well-browned and soft, remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
While the veggies cool, remove the chipotles from their water bath, tear them in half, remove most of the seeds and roughly chop. Add them to the bowl of a food processor along with the roasted veggies, roughly chopped onion and cilantro. Pulse until almost smooth, then season with salt and black pepper to taste.