- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 bunch scallions or spring onions, whites and light greens, roots trimmed and thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley tops, packed
- 1 cup mint and tarragon leaves combined, packed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresno, jalapeño or Serrano pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Sicilian pistachios, lightly toasted
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 pound cavatelli
Bring a pot of water on a boil for the pasta.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil and butter. Sauté asparagus and onions 2-3 minutes; add in peas toss to heat through, 2-3 minutes.
In the bowl of a food processor, add herbs, lemon zest and juice, garlic, chili pepper, pistachios, salt and pepper, and pulse-chop into a pesto. Stream in 1/4 cup EVOO with the machine on then scrape pesto into a large serving bowl. Stir in Pecorino.
Salt boiling water and cook pasta 6-7 minutes, undercooking it by 1 minute from package directions. Remove 1 cup starchy, salty cooking water, add it to pesto. Drain pasta and add it to the pesto along with the asparagus, scallions and peas; toss to combine. Drizzle with EVOO to finish.