- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup chopped pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- A handful basil, chopped
- 12 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese, finely grated
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
In a deep-sided skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, mix together the mozzarella and provolone cheeses, pepperoni and tomato sauce. Add in the red pepper flakes, dried oregano, granulated garlic and basil. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Using a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread. With the long side facing you, place a heaping tablespoon of filling on the lower half of each slice. Brush the edges of the bread with water and roll the bread around the filling, pressing down on the seams and open ends to seal the roll.
Fry the rolls in batches so they don’t stick together and brown evenly until they are crisp, turning occasionally. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with a rack as you remove them from the oil.
Place the rolls in a large bowl and toss them with parmesan cheese and parsley. Transfer to a platter and enjoy!