- 4 large field red peppers
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, 2 crushed and 2 finely chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 12 cocktail tomatoes
- 2 large, firm eggplants, thinly sliced into planks, salted and left to drain on towels
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick planks lengthwise
- 2 cups fresh ricotta, drained
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup parsley tops
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 8-ounce bag shredded mozzarella
- A fat handful basil leaves, torn
Char peppers over an open flame or under a broiler until blistered and charred. Place in a bowl, cover and let cool. Seed, peel and cut into thick strips or quarters.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat a small pot with olive oil, crushed garlic and rosemary sprigs over medium heat to infuse the oil. Dress tomatoes with garlic oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast on a rimmed baking sheet until they burst.
Heat a grill pan. Brush the eggplant and zucchini with the infused oil and season zucchini with salt and pepper. Grill veggies until tender and marked.
Place ricotta in bowl and mix in the egg. Make a pesto of parsley, walnuts, garlic, parm, EVOO, salt and pepper in a food processor and combine with ricotta.
Mash tomatoes with torn basil.
Spray a nonstick loaf pan or 8x8” pan or casserole. Layer lasagna with eggplant and zucchini, some roasted red peppers and half of the ricotta mixture; repeat, making the top layer of eggplant and/or zucchini. Top with the burst tomato sauce and mozzarella; bake 30-35 minutes to golden. Let stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes then cut and serve.