- Vegetable or canola oil, for drizzling
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- A handful cilantro, chopped
- 6 2-ounce packages Fritos corn chips
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced jalapeños
In a large, nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over high heat. Once hot, add the ground beef and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
While the beef cooks, make the seasoning mixture: In a small bowl, combine salt, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, tomato paste and apple cider vinegar. Add 1/4 cup of warm water and stir with a fork to make a paste. Set aside.
Once the meat is brown, turn the heat down to medium and add the onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until garlic is fragrant. Add the seasoning mixture and stir to combine. Add in the diced tomatoes; stir to combine. Cook off most of the liquid then turn off the heat. Add cilantro.
To build Walking Tacos, open the tops of the Frito bags. Fold each bag down slightly and then scoop a heaping ladle of the chili directly into the bag. Top chili with a dollop of sour cream, cheese, lettuce and jalapeños.