“I like to serve these with oven fries: Wedge up some potatoes, season them with olive oil, salt, pepper, a little chili powder and some cumin, and roast in a 425°F degree oven for 35-40 minutes, tossing occasionally. I guess a salad would be yummy too, although not quite as delicious as oven fries!" Scroll down below to see how this recipe was made on Facebook Live!
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus extra to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1/2 small yellow onion, grated
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 avocados, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 2 chipotle chilies plus 1 to 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 burger buns of your choice, toasted (I prefer whole wheat English muffins)
In a medium-size mixing bowl, add red onion, lime juice and salt. Stir to combine then set aside. This should be done 15-20 minutes or a few hours before you stir together the guacamole. The longer the red onion sits in the lime juice and salt, the better.
In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey, grated onion, hot sauce, panko, some salt and pepper. Do not over-mix. Form 4 patties.
Preheat an outdoor grill to medium or heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to ripple, add patties and cook until brown on one side, about 4-5 minutes. Flip burgers and cook until fully cooked through, about 4-5 minutes more.
While the turkey burgers cook, finish guacamole: To the red onion mixture, add avocado, tomato and cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine very well.
In a food processor, combine chipotles, adobo sauce, yogurt and mayonnaise, and pulse until well-combined.
To build guacamole burgers, smear the bottom of the bun with chipotle sauce. Place a turkey burger patty on the bun bottoms then top with 2 heaping spoonfuls guacamole and bun tops.